GetUp resumes its campaign against Pacific Solution Mark II. Now the group is pressing the Federal Government to release about 34 children detained in Manus Island.
Immigration Minister Brendan O’Connor finally pulled his head out of the sand, admitting that asylum seeker detention centres are “not only expensive, [they] take a toll on people’s mental health and wellbeing.” 1 Amen.
The announcement will mean newly arrived asylum seeker families would be eligible to be released into the community on bridging visas. Prompting the question GetUp members have been asking for months:
Why is Manus Island Detention Centre still open at all?
The condemnation of the Manus Island detention centre couldn’t be stronger, and it’s coming from all directions. A recent report from the Immigration Department found its own facility poses health risks. In an ABC Four Corners report, Dr John Vallentine said medical treatment in the centre was inadequate. The Coalition have called it a waste of money. The number of boat arrivals shows it doesn’t even work as a deterrent.
Sign and share this petition so we can demonstrate widespread public support demanding the Manus Island detention centre be shut down once and for all.
The public needs to hear of some breakthrough.
- Close down Manus, says ALP senator Cameron (news.smh.com.au)
- Doctor says Manus Island a ‘disaster’ for children (abc.net.au)
- Manus problems fixed: immigration dept (news.smh.com.au)
- Children to be housed in Darwin detention centre (abc.net.au)
- Manus Island medical supply concerns (bigpondnews.com)
- What if it was our kids? Four Corners and asylum seekers (theconversation.com)