Following the change of Australian Government, policy changes on climate and environment have taken place. The Green Journal takes a break to wait for further developments. Meanwhile, here’s from From GetUp!–
Is climate change making bushfires worse?
Yes. ABC’s headline today: “Scientists say climate change link to bushfires demands action”.
As we think of the hundreds of families losing homes in these fires, and the heroic fire fighters giving their all, we know that our climate will only get more dangerous unless we take strong action now.
We have a plan – I recorded this short video to give you the details:
Former Rural Fire Services Commissioner, Phil Koperberg, spells it out: “This is a feature of slowly evolving climate. We have always had fires, but not of this nature, and not at this time of year, and not accompanied by the record-breaking heat we’ve had”.
The science and the impacts are clearer than ever, but many of our political leaders are stepping back. We won’t make progress by waiting for them. I can’t see a path to climate action that doesn’t involve a huge, strong movement of Australians standing up. Let’s start a summer of action with these huge rallies.
for the GetUp team
 We need to talk about bushfires and climate change – if not now, when?, The Guardian, 21 October 2013
PS. Stay turned over the coming days for information about how you can be involved in our huge climate action mobilisations or host your own.
We have a bold plan to kick off a huge climate campaign – but we need your help.
The last month was the hottest on record.
The last 12 months were the hottest on record.
The last summer was the hottest on record, breaking 120 extreme weather events.
This month? Summer seems to have come early and bushfires are already burning.
Meanwhile, Tony Abbott has just released his legislation to scrap the carbon price – but there’s no sight of a solid plan that would replace it or even meet our current targets to reduce emissions.
Politically, things might be a bit grim. But this is no time to give up on fighting for a safe climate – it’s time to step up. We have bold, exciting and massive things planned. Watch the video to find out how you can get involved:
We’re holding huge climate mobilisations across the country on 17 November. It’s an ambitious plan, and we can’t sign up for it without your support. Are you in?
- Al Gore weighs into debate over links between bushfires and climate change (abc.net.au)
- Abbott says climate change not fire factor (sbs.com.au)
- She’s talking out of her hat: Abbott (smh.com.au)
- Australian Prime Minister denies 25 years of research linking climate change to bushfires | Graham Readfearn (theguardian.com)
- Let’s talk about Bushfires, Climate Change and Coal (damnthematrix.wordpress.com)
- Abbott says climate change not fire factor (news.smh.com.au)
- Now is the time to talk about climate change (abc.net.au)
- Let’s talk bushfires and climate politics (reneweconomy.com.au)
- Gore enters NSW bushfire climate debate (skynews.com.au)
- Fire expert, Professor David Bowman, discusses the latest bushfire emergency (abc.net.au)